Skip to main content

My 40 Before 40 List

Whew! I narrowed this list down from like 60! I would have had even more than that had I not forced myself to just stop thinking. Anyway, I saw this idea over at the Cubicle Chick and decided I'd also make a list of 40 things I want to do before I turn 40. I searched around on the web and apparently this is kind of a common thing in the blogger world. (Who knew?) Any who. Here's my list of 40 things that I want to do before I turn 40. I have 7 years and 6 months. I think I can do it. (I'm a librarian so they're in alphabetical order.

Latina’s 40 Before 40 List

1.      Be completely out of debt.
My credit is...how should I put this... well, basically FUCKED UP! I've made tons of financial mistakes in life. If I hadn't been blessed to have a job that pays me decently I had to even think of where I would be right now. *shudders* I hope that I learn to live within my financial means waaay before I turn 40 but my hope is that by the time I turn 40 I will be financially stable. By stable I mean able to cover all of me and my family's needs and enough of our wants to keep us happy.

2.      Be Fly – Consistently
I am a girly girl. I love to purchase make up, jewelry, nail polish, shoes and clothes. I don't always utilize these things. My goal is to be fly - more than I am not fly. I'll never be one of those girls that wears a full face of make up every day and I don't always care about what I have on. But I want to do it enough so that people commonly refer to me as being fly. As in Person One: “Hey, have you seen Latina?" Person Two: Yea, she over there looking fly."

3.      Buy a Beamer
The Beamer has not always been my dream car. Previously my dream car was a fully loaded Chevy Tahoe. Honestly, it still is and I'd take either one as an accomplishment of this goal. I just want a fly ride.

4.      Buy a good camera
I'm cute, my kids are cute - I need a camera that fully captures all that cuteness.

5.      Buy a house
Not just a house but the house I will live in for the rest of my life unless I become wealthier, get married after accomplishing this goal, or pop out a whole lot of babies after turning 40 (a and b are a lot more likelier than c)

6.      Commit to a budget
A lot of my goals are dependent upon wealth. I don't keep up with a budget. I don't keep a checkbook. I'm just a hot mess when it comes to money. My hope is that I'll either one: make enough money to hire someone else to handle my finances or two: marry someone that I can trust to handle our finances.

7.      Complete at least 1 craft project a month or an entire year.
I'm a crafty girl - I often let life get in the way of doing things that make me happy. I've been stifling my creativity far too long.

8.      Cook 1 new thing once a month for a year.
I also like to cook so..........

9.      Create a living will
I'm grown and this is something I should do.

10.  Find a Mentor
??????? I'm not real clear on why this one made the cut. I'll get back to you.

11.  Finish Degrees: Bachelor’s (Liberal Arts) and Master’s (Library Science)
Right now I'm a librarian by trade - I want to have my credentials all lined up.

12.  Finish writing 3 books.
I want to finish at least 3 books; publish at least 2 (either self publish or major publishing house publish) and I want to make the effort to shop at least 1 of them around to major publishing houses.

13.  Get a Mac
I've been a PC girl for life. I keep hearing how Macbooks are all that and a bag of flamin hot onion rings. If I'm going to continue of the path of righteousness (business and school) I should have a computer that says that I too, am all that and a bag of flamin hot onion rings.

14.  Get married
Preferably to my boo (in my mind) but seeing as how he doesn't know that we've been dating off and on for the last 4 years, I don't know if that's going to happen. But I want to married to some sexily ashy, dark skinned, educated, socially conscious, good with money, spiritually aware, natural hair and extra pounds accepting African American God.

15.  Go 30 days without speaking negatively about ANYTHING!
Negativity eats away at your soul. I know that I can't wish to never be negative again (you can live in a non reality if you want) so my goal is to go 30 days without speaking negatively of myself or anyone else. After being negativity free for 30 days, it should be something I do less often for life.

16.  Go a month without drinking sodas.
Again in the hope that the desire will be gone or at least greatly lowered.

17.  Go a month without eating sweets.
Again in the hope that the desire will be gone or at least greatly lowered.

18.  Go a month without fast food.
Again in the hope that the desire will be gone or at least greatly lowered.

19.  Go to at least 3 concerts (Rihanna, T.I., Trey Songz, Beyonce)
Technically I've seen Trey Songz in concert. He was the opener for the Usher OMG tour. But I want to go to a Trey Songz concert. Also, I've seen T.I. in concert and although it was a fun and memorable night it was in a night club in Little Rock......so.....yea...I'mma need to upgrade that concert experience. While I listen to both Rihanna and Beyonce, I like Rihanna as a person more but either way they are two BAD (meaning good) heifers when it comes to performing and I bet a show from either one is FIERCE.

20.  Have 6 month Emergency Fund ($25,000)
Hopefully, I'll have more than this BUT considering my former and current financial track record this is a push. What's that, an average of $3571.43 a year / $297.62 / $148.81 a bi-weekly or each paycheck? I'm simply too grown not to be able to do this.

21.  Have a thriving side hustle (or 2).
Hopefully this will help me achieve #20 and ease a little of the tension on my regular job paycheck. I have a couple of ideas that I think are going to be major! One is already in the making *shameless promotions* and it is Simply Unique Jewelry and gifts. Expect lots of things from this soon: My Etsy Shop and Simply Unique Online.

22.  Have professional photo shoot
To celebrate my flyness after accomplishing #25 and #2

23.  Learn Spanish
I don't necessarily want to fluent in it but I want to know enough to decipher what a Spanish speaking person is saying. I actually want to learn sign language also.....so hopefully both but either or will work.

24.  Learn to swim
Because I don't know how and I have a fear of drowning.

25.  Lose 100 pounds – and maintain the healthy weight.
I'm already cute. Having a smaller frame will only add to my flyness.

26.  Make scrapbooks/ photo albums
To preserve family memories and what not.

27.  Paint or draw something to frame and hang in my home.
I'm a creative person - my entire family is artistic and while I've displayed my artistic side in other ways I want to create some art. I know I have it in me.

28.  Play a game of golf.
Because I never have and I'm intrigued by the sport. I've never even played miniature golf and while I want to do that also I want to play real life golf complete with proper apparel and golf cart.

29.  Read at least 2 books a month (1 fiction and 1 nonfiction)
The thirst for knowledge should never be quenched. I should read fiction books because they allow for creativity and nonfiction books to learn something.

30.  Read the bible in a year.
For obvious reasons. I need to get right with the lord.

31.  Record a song
Preferably a gangsta/diva rap song because I can't sing AT ALL and I think I got at least 1 tight 16 bars in me.

32.  Sew a piece of clothing and wear it.
Again, because I'm crafty

33.  Start a non profit
I have a few ideas. 1. Something to teach young adults financial literacy so they won't be a hot mess like me and 2. a mentoring group for young girls.

34.  Stay in contact with family.
I don't talk to my siblings nearly enough. I don't send cards, I don't call. And I have a grandmother that I for some reason feel uncomfortable around. Probably because I know I'm not as close to her as I should be.

35.  Take a cake decorating class.
Because I'm creative.

36.  Take my vitamins everyday for a month.
For health reasons. I should do this soon because I recently spent tons of money on all sorts of vitamins and I need to take them before they expire.

37.  Throw an amazing birthday party for myself.
I haven't had a party since I was 23 and although it was the bomb.com

38.  Visit these 5 places/dream vacations (Las Vegas, Florida, California, and New York, Out of the Country)
I want to go Vegas with my girls, Florida with my family, California with ? ; New York with ? and out of the Country on my honeymoon.

39.  Make a real effort to start YouTube channel and blogs.
I think I have the personality I don't know what's holding me back. I think that being happy with who I am will help me accomplish this or accomplishing this will help me be comfortable with who I am. But hey, I won't know until I try.

40.  Eat something that I grew from my own garden.
Ummmm, the real goal here is to grow a garden. My self-imposed checks and balance is to utilize something from said garden. If I'm gonna eat what I grow I'll have to properly tend to it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey y'all!    I was finally able to get my grubby little paws on more Michaels Craft Store Grab Boxes. It was completely by accident, I simply wanted to buy a t-shirt to complete an order and I saw 4 boxes so I purchased 4 boxes. Here's what was inside: Most of this will get used. I was most excited about the floral department stuff and the lights. The total for my boxes is over $400. Anything I can't use, I'll be donating to my job! 

BOOK REVIEW: "I Almost Forgot About You" by Terry McMillan

While I'm not a Terry McMillan fanatic, I do usually enjoy her books. This title was hard to read and confusing from the very beginning. I understand that Georgia is on a mission to find herself but the books is long and gets boring often. Plus there are way too many characters to keep up with. I will still pick up a Terry McMillan book in the future but I do not recommend this book.

Intermittent Fasting....Let's GO!

So I've been hearing a lot about Intermittent fasting lately and I'm officially ready to give it a try.  Intermittent fasting is not a  diet , but rather a dieting pattern. ... By fasting and then feasting on purpose, intermittent fasting generally means that you consume your calories during a specific window of the day, and choose not to eat food for a larger window of time. I am diabetic so I am going to do 9 hours of eating and 15 hours of fasting. I will post often on my progress. I've created 2 documents to help me plan. While most people say you can eat "whatever you want" I am going to try to be mindful of what I eat and stick to one dessert per day. I can't quit cold turkey on the processed sugars because I'm an addict!!!! Wish me luck! Have any of you tried IF? Comment below. If you're interested in the files I'm using, email me and I'll send them to you. No need to recreate the wheel.  XOXO